Thursday, December 18, 2008

Newsletter Creation - Out of Office Notes

Sending out a newsletter is always a tricky thing. Not the building the content, doing the editing, or dealing with an internet connection that's up and down like a yoyo. No, it's making sure that I don't go over my email limit with bouncebacks. Bouncebacks are the things that come back to my mailbox every time I send out the newsletter. These aren't undeliverable - these are the little notes that come back when someone is away from their desk and want me to know why that is. I used to just delete these notes without reading but then I realized that some of those bouncebacks were giving me new contact info that needs to be updated so I started reading them. And I got hooked

Why did I get hooked? Because some people just have to go beyond saying Out of Office Dec x to Dec y. Some people go a step beyond. Here are a few of my favorites from today's round (and some I get all the time). Names, companies and product names have been changed to protect the innocent

I will be out of the office starting 12/17/2008 and will not return until 01/05/2009.I will be out of the office from 12/17/2008 until 1/5/2009.For immediate assistance for Admin issues, please email Seth with your issue, CC Dave Smith and myself. You can also sametime Dave Smith. Dave Smith is my Admin backup. For other urgent issues please see the backup list below.Admin, and Support - Dave Smith, Admin Access - Jane Smith Manage Trouble Tickets - Contact me via cell Approvals - Contact me via cellI will have my cell and laptop close throughout the holidays. If you need urgent assistance you may contact me at my cell. I will respond within 1-2 hours, please leave a message if I do not answer.

Seriously - is this person actually going to get any vacation?


I'm away from the office with access to email. My response will be slower than usual but I will try to respond to urgent requests within 2-3 days.

Urgent and 2-3 days don't really seem to go together do they?

hello! my computer is with IT this afternoon and i won't have it back until thursday morning. i will reply to you as soon as possible. thank you,

Since the email that generated this response was sent on Friday morning things are not looking good with this person's computer.

For emergencies during the week of December 15th, please contact my manager.

This assumes we know his manager and how to get in touch. Not always a good assumption.

Vacating for the holidays. Back in the office on Monday, Jan. 5th. Best wishes for a restful season and Happy New Year!
Cheers

I love that she's vacating. And you can tell her thoughts are on restful.


Out of the office currently. I will respond to email when I return, for urgent issues please call my cell phone
May the force be with you.

I love working with technologists.

Have a Happy Holiday

No comments: