Thursday, December 4, 2008

Newsletter Creation - Updating the Database

Every time I send out our newsletter (or cfa) I go in to see who has signed up for our newsletter. I am always amazed that there are at least 40 or 50 people, who, in the course of two weeks found us and decided that yes I want to get that newsletter. Of course at least 5 or 6 are spam - with incredibly annoying names like hotsexhotsex. But my last step is to go into our salesforce account and pull out the new registrants and upload them into our constant contact system.

And of course after every newsletter goes out there are a few readers who decide they don't want us to continue bugging them and they disconnect. Since I need to respect their privacy I can't do what I would like, which is reach out to them and say why? Why don't you want my newsletter anymore? Are there too many articles, too few? Have we annoyed you in some bizarre way? Did you not like that we asked you to donate money? You do know we're a non-profit don't you? Was it that one typo I missed that turned you away? Have we somehow become irrelevant to you? What changed? But alas, without infinite hours of spare work time those questions go unasked. But the next time you turn off a newsletter you might want to drop the person writing it a little note and let them know why. We really do want to know.

No comments: